If you’re looking to hire a preschool teacher, you should have them fill out a preschool teacher questionnaire before you interview them. This will weed out any candidates who aren’t right for your school, and it will also raise any red flags that might pop up later. Send this questionnaire to every preschool teacher and ask them to fill it out:
YOUR LOYALTY TO A COMPANY
- Describe your dream job.
- How many years would you like to see yourself dedicating to <Your Name Preschool>, and why?
- Do you anticipate any circumstances where you will be unable to work during the school year?
- Please explain why you left your last (or are planning on leaving your current) job.
YOUR ABILITY TO MANAGE A PRESCHOOL CLASSROOM
- Which age group (3-4, 4-5, or 3-5) do you feel most comfortable teaching, and why?
- How many months or years have you taught preschool (ages 3-5) by yourself or as a lead teacher? (Please don’t include any time as an assistant.)
- You will be the only teacher in a class of 10-12 children. As Director, I will of course be training and helping you through the first few weeks, but after that, I’ll be expecting you to embrace your role as the only teacher and “run with it.” Please explain why you feel you can effectively manage a class size like this by yourself.
YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
- What degree do you have or are currently pursuing? If you don’t have a degree, how many credits do you have in Early Childhood Education or similar field?
YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF PRESCHOOL STANDARDS
- Please explain your knowledge and/or experience with DAP.
- Please explain your knowledge and/or experience with NAEYC and any other preschool standards.
YOUR ABILITY TO CREATE DEVELOPMENTALLY APPROPRIATE CURRICULUM
- How do you feel preschoolers learn best? (i.e. which teaching philosophies do you glean from?)
- Please explain your ability to create curriculum on your own.
- Please explain your knowledge and/or experience with Creative Curriculum.
- Please explain your knowledge and/or experience with Handwriting Without Tears.
I hope this example of a preschool teacher questionnaire was helpful to you!