GET YOUR PRESCHOOL WEBSITE DOMAIN
A domain for your website is like buying a piece of land for your house to be built on later. You have an “address” but no house. Similarly, when you get a website domain, you will have a URL (address) but no website… yet. It’s the first step to securing your “virtual real estate” for your business.
Deciding on a website domain (URL) is one of the steps I see my preschool owners get tripped up on all the time. Please note that if you have BOTH a local AND an online preschool, I recommend you have BOTH domains (i.e. each domain has a DIFFERENT website on it: one for local, and one for online.)
Why have two different domains, instead of just adding a “tab” that says “online” on your existing local website? In our opinion, your online preschool website should live on its own, not connected to your local preschool website at all. You are serving different target markets: those local usually don’t want your online program… and those online usually don’t live close enough to go to your local program.
Sure, there will be a few exceptions to this rule, but the majority of local won’t want online, and vice versa. For that purpose, we are going to market your 2 programs separately.
Here are my recommendations below to get your website domain from GoDaddy:
Most people will search for & find you in Google.
- Recommendation: yourpreschoolname.com
- i.e.: butterfliespreschool.com
- If that is taken, then try instead: mybutterfliespreschool.com
- If BOTH of those are taken, then: yourpreschoolnamecity.com
- i.e.: butterfliespreschoolmeridian.com
Most people will see a link & click in social media.
- Recommendation: yourpreschoolnameonline.com
- i.e.: butterfliespreschoolonline.com
- If that is taken, then try instead: butterfliesonlinepreschool.com
What To Do When:
- If you’re setting up a brand new preschool business, we suggest you buy BOTH local and online versions of the domain (see recommendations above) so that in the future you can have both programs if you want to.
- If you already have both local & online domains, you can skip this step.
- If you already have a website domain for your local or online preschool, and you need the other variation, then I suggest you get the other version of your preschool domain you’re missing (either local or online).
GET YOUR PRESCHOOL BUSINESS EMAIL (Google Workspace)
Even though this step is called “Get Your Business Email” for simplicity (as that is probably a step you thought about needing) this step is actually about helping you create your entire workspace online using Google. When you get Google Workspace, you’ll have access to lots of business tools that you will need now and might need later:
- Business email (like [email protected])
- Business calendar (you’ll use this in your website to manage your scheduling of tours, appointments, conferences, assessments, etc.)
- Google Drive (you’ll use this to store all your business files inside Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and more)
- Teams (you can add team members to your business so they get their own email and can access certain areas of Google Drive that you choose)
- Google Meet (you can use this instead of Zoom if you want)