FOR YOUR HOME AND CLASSROOM
Whether you homeschool your child, teach preschool, or just have a preschooler at home, these are the 9 must have preschool school supplies you need in order to help your preschooler expand their mind, and have lots of fun!
All of these items are a wonderful thing to have at home, and absolutely crucial to a preschool classroom.
Preschoolers should be read to every day. Reading to your preschooler helps them develop skills in early literacy, and stimulates their imagination. The great thing about books is that they come in many forms. Physical books are great, but you don’t have to own an entire library to read to your preschooler.
- EPIC is an amazing online resource for books that you can read right from your phone or computer screen.
- Youtube is another great place to find books! Just do a quick search for children’s books and you will find unlimited books about every subject imaginable. Check out this Dr. Seuss read aloud picture book. The great part about books on YouTube is they are read out loud, so if you don’t feel like doing the reading yourself you don’t have to. Of course, you can always mute the sound so you don’t have to give up creating those fun character voices.
Playdough helps preschoolers develop arm strength, work on fine motor skills, and have fun! Playdough can be used to form letters and shapes, practice cutting with scissors, build 3D models, and so much more! We know playdough can get expensive; colors get mixed together, lost on the floor, and dried out. Making your own playdough can be a huge lifesaver, and it’s so easy you can do it in under 15 minutes.
- All-purpose flour
- Cream of tartar
- Vegetable or Canola oil
- Gel food coloring
- Add 1 cup of flour, 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, and 1/3 CUP of salt to a saucepan.
- Add several drops of desired food coloring in to 1 cup of water, and add in one tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Add colored water mixture to you flour mixture and mix until everything is combined well.
- Turn your burner on medium/low and heat mixture until it starts to thicken
- Keep stirring until your playdough starts to get lumpy, and then thicken to the point that it can be gathered together with your spoon. (You’ll know when it looks like playdough) This process should only take a few minutes.
- Take out of pan and let cool. Have endless hours of fun, and then store in an air tight container.
3. MARKERS & CRAYONS
Markers and Crayons are important for your preschooler to express their imaginations on paper. They can explore with color and create something truly unique to them. Dot markers are not only super fun, but they are a great learning tool for your preschooler. Teaching Where You’re Called has a lot of great ideas for how to use dot markers to teach your preschooler.
Blocks are an amazing tool in helping your preschooler learn hand-eye coordination, expand their imaginations, and practice problem solving. Preschoolers also build their self esteems from creating something they are proud of.
A calendar is an important tool in teaching your child about the days of the week, the months, and even the different seasons. Visit Amazon to check out one of our favorite calendars!
6. ART SUPPLIES
Art Supplies come in a wide variety, but these are some of our favorite things to have on hand.
- Pom Poms
- Pipe Cleaners
- Glue sticks
7. DRAMATIC PLAY ITEMS
Dramatic play areas are areas set up for your preschooler to role-play as anything they want to be. Preschoolers can dress up, and transform themselves into another world. They can become Dr’s and save a patient from a made up disease, or an an astronaut discovering a new planet. There is no limit on imagination. Pre-K Pages has a ton of great ideas for setting up some amazing dramatic play areas where your preschooler can truly become anything they want! Don’t forget to take advantage of all those free downloads.
8. CONSTRUCTION PAPER
You can never have too much construction paper. Grab every color you can find and watch your preschooler create amazing crafts. From making paper chains, to creating awesome paintings, there’s so many things that can be created with construction paper and DIY Shareable has some of our favorite ideas!
Because bubbles are seriously just a blast.
Leave a Reply