The answer to the question “what are the requirements to start a local preschool business” are not easy to answer, at least not in a blog post like this. But they are not very difficult for you to find out. Here are some steps to follow to figure out your answer to that question.
1. Google: “[Name of Your State] Daycare Licensing Requirements”
Enter that search phrase into Google and look for a website that ends in .gov. It will be your state’s Department for Health and Human Services, or Department for Health and Welfare, or some government organization like that. You will be able to find your state’s childcare guidelines on this site.
But, wait a minute! I want to start a preschool, not a daycare! Preschools still fall under the daycare licensing category, so we must play by their rules and find out what their licensing requirements are.
2. Locate Your State’s Licensing Requirements
You will need to find the licensing requirements for your state. These documents can be long and technical, but they will contain all the rules and regulations for your state’s daycare licensing.
You could spend all your time reading thru those 100’s of pages, but in order to get started quickly – the best thing to find is your state’s daycare licensing phone number and ask some very specific questions about the necessary licensing requirements.
3. Ask These Very Specific Questions
Keep in mind that because preschools fall under the licensing guidelines for daycares, that the person you speak with on the phone may not be used to answering these kinds of questions. That is why you must word them in the specific way they are written here to avoid any miscommunication.
- How many children can I teach at one time without being licensed?
- Do my children count toward the # of children I can teach at one time?
- What is the staff/child ratio for preschool age children (ages 3-5)?
- What educational background or training is required to get a license?
- What types of inspections are required to get a license?
- Will I need a criminal history background check if I get licensed?
- Are there any specific home requirements concerning pets, pools, play equipment, or backyard fences if I need to be licensed?
- Do I need to check with any other agencies to be licensed?
- How long does it take for an application to get accepted?
- What are the fees associated with getting licensed?
In just three simple steps you can find out what are the requirements for your state to start a local preschool business.